5th Annual Save Our Skin
Skin Cancer Awareness 5K Walk/Run
Promoting Skin Cancer Awareness and Prevention
Skin Cancer Awareness Network - SCAN Foundation
Complimentary Spot Skin Checks 7am to 10:00am
About the race
Name: SOS 5K
Distance: 5K Run/Walk
Date: Saturday, June 25, 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga.
email - 404-872-3294.
- Saturday, June 25
7 a.m. - 7:45 a.m. - Race Day Registration
8 a.m. - 5K Run/Walk.
7 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. - Complimentary Spot Skin Checks by board certified dermatologists
(Clicking on link will open a new window to display a printer friendly application.)
- printable mail-in application
- To register online go to active.com
- Visit any Big Peach Running Co., fill out a form and pay the registration fee.
Pre-registration (by June 22) - $20
After June 22 & Race day registration - $25
Infants in strollers & pets welcome.
Awards and Extras
- Awards: for top finishers
- T-shirts: Participants will receive a premium cotton commemorative t-shirt
- Great Food: An assortment of free food including beverages bagels, muffins, fruit, barbeque, fruit smoothies, water and more
- Super Prize Drawings: Drawings will be held for various door prizes for a $1 dollar donation to SCAN. We will have great prizes, such as Delta Air Lines Tickets Miles and much more.
Perimeter Place - Atlanta - Map - Directions
Take Ashford-Dunwoody Rd North, off I-285. Slightly pass Perimeter Mall, take a left onto Perimeter Center West at traffic light by bank. Go to first light, take a right at Perimeter Center Place. Proceed to Target, and make a left into parking lot. Go past Target on your right, and The Manhatten Condos on your right. You will now be at the entry of the FREE parking garage. You may also park in the big lot at Target. There will be signs and volunteers to assist.
MARTA: Sandy Springs Marta Station conveniently located easy 1/4 mile walk to Perimeter Place. Comimg out of MARTA station walk towards Ashford Dunwoody Road towards Perimeter Mall. You will be going East on Perimeter Center West. You wil see Perimeter Place is on your left.
More about the SCAN Foundation
The SCAN Foundation (Skin Cancer Awareness Network) was founded in 2006 by Marilyn Fry, a survivor of melanoma. Her mission is to use her experience and second opportunity for life to educate members of the community on the harmful effects of excessive sun, to help them avoid this preventable disease, and to provide info on care options treatment.
To create public awareness of the dangers of excessive and/or unprotected direct exposure to the sun and educate people about preventive safety measures to avoid or lessen the chances of developing melanoma or one of the other preventable skin cancers.
Key Program Areas:
- Public Education at Community, Corporate and School Health Fairs.
- Community Skin Cancer Screenings.
- Skin Cancer/Melanoma Prevention TrainingPublic/Professional.
- Educational Website.
- Speakers Bureau.
- 5K Walk/Runs.
- SPF (SCAN Partners in Fashion) fashion shows with polka dotted theme.
- Annual Georgia State Capitol Skin Cancer Awareness Day.
* May is National Skin Cancer Awareness Month. Community awareness activities will be promoted during the month.